Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Have a Healthy Disregard for the Impossible

Robert Sheehan, author of "Mission Impact," a leader in the nonprofit consulting world, and my professor, has embraced the idea that a successful organization and/or leader is one that has a heathy disregard for the impossible. It's a quote, and one that Larry Page, Co-Founder of a little corporation you might have heard of, Google, has quoted in commencement speeches. It's interesting, and even a little scary, to dream bigger than big, and take risks that might end up failing miserably. But, it's a guiding principle I intend to keep in the back of my mind as I move up and forward in this life. A healthy disregard for the impossible. Steve Jobs had it. Larry Page had it. Benjamin Franklin had it. And, let's get some women in there: Rosa Parks, Susan B. Anthony, and even crazy Sarah Palin, who has motivated a base of people unlike many other politicians I've ever heard of. It's starting to seem like the people who have this healthy disregard are the ones changing the world. I'm going to be one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment